header image

August 1st, to Sept. 15, 1918.
From August 1, 1918 to September 15, 1918 inclusive.

Including appendices consisting of one map of the Marbache Sector marked "W"; one map scale 1/80,000 marked "x" and showing movement of the Brigade from September 1 to 10th; copy of Operations Report of the Brigade for period of from September 12 to 15, inclusive, including one map of sector, submitted by Brigadier-General W.C.Neville and marked "y" and one copy of each of General Orders No.40 and No.44, Headquarters, 2nd Division, Am.E.F., marked "z".


On August 1st the Brigade was under way moving from Nanteuil-le-Haudouin, north of Meaux, to a new area around the city of Nancy, in accordance with Field Order #19, H.Q.2nd Division. The units of the Brigade arrived at their destination August 1st, 2nd and 3rd and were billeted in towns around Nancy. Brigade Headquarters established at Villers-les-Nancy. At this period Brigadier-General John A. Lejeune was in command of the 2nd Division, relieving Major-General James G. Harbord who was ordered to assume command of the Service of Supply. Colonel Wendell C. Neville was in command of the 4th Brigade, Lieutenant-Colonel Logan Feland in command of the 5th Regiment, Lieutenant-Colonel Harry Lee in command of the 6th Regiment and Major L.W.T.Waller, Jr., in command of the 6th Machine Gun Battalion. It was on August 3rd that Brigadier-General Lejeune and Colonel Neville received notification of their appointment as Major-General and Brigadier-General respectively.

In accordance with Field Order #21, H.Q. 2nd Division, which included an order for the movement of the Brigade to an area north of Nancy, the 1st Battalion and 8th Machine Gun Company of the 5th Regiment and the 1st Battalion and 73rd Machine Gun Company of the 6th Regiment moved to new area on August 4th. On August 5th the 2nd Battalion of the 5th Regiment and the 2nd Battalion of the 6th Regiment moved in accordance with Divisional Field Order. The two regimental commanders, in accordance with instructions contained in the order, with the necessary Staff and Intelligence officers, proceeded to their new P.C.'s to make reconnaissance of their sector.

The remaining battalions of the Brigade and 6th Machine Gun Battalion were inspected this afternoon by the Assistant Secretary of the Navy, Franklin D. Roosevelt. During the Inspection Mr. Roosevelt authorized the men of the Brigade to wear the Marine Corps emblem on the right and left side of their collars in the same manner as now worn by officers. In accordance with this authorization General Neville instructed the Paymaster at Paris to order sufficient quantities of ornaments.

On August 6th the remaining units of the Brigade moved to the new area north of Nancy, in readiness to enter the sector opposite Metz. The movement was completed August 6th and during the night of August 6-7 and August 7-8 the units of the Brigade occupied the western subsector of the Marbach sector of the line north of Pont-a-Mousson (map marked "w") relieving elements of the 64th French Division, The Brigade completed relief on August 8th and the command of the western subsector passed to the 4th Brigade at 8:00 a.m., August 9th. Brigade was disposed as follows: Of the 5th Regiment the 2nd Battalion was in the first line, the 1st Battalion in the position of resistance and the 3rd Battalion in support of the 2nd position; the 2nd Battalion of the 6th Regiment held the first line of their part of the sector, the 1st Battalion held the position of resistance and the 3rd Battalion in support of the 2nd position, or the line of barrage. Of the 6th Machine Gun Battalion two companies were attached to each regiment. Three companies, with the regimental machine gun companies, provided for one machine gun company with each battalion.

This subsector was very quiet normally and a training program was carried on by all battalions except those actually in the front line. On the morning of August 9th Lieutenant-Colonel Earl H. Ellis assumed the duties of Brigade Adjutant, relieving Lieutenant-Colonel Harry R. Lay who was appointed Inspector of the 2nd Division.

The general aspects of the day ending 8:00 p.m., August 9th were comparatively quiet. In the subsector Ouest an enemy patrol of about twelve men fired upon one of our patrols. Two prisoners were captured, one of whom was severely wounded. It is believed that this patrol was the advanced posts of a large raiding party to follow. From information received from the French who had been occupying the sector, it appears that there is an important military school in Metz which specialized in instruction for "Stormtruppen" or Shock Troops. At the completion of the course the graduates hold their commencement exercises in the shape of a raid on portions of the Marbache sector opposite Metz and, according to the French, are usually successful. The last raid, which occurred about two months before, resulted in the capture of 13 French soldiers. The raid of the night of August 8-9 caused the Brigade but two casualties and resulted in the capture of two Germans. It was a complete failure, the Germans not even securing identification which they so urgently desired.

On August 10th a letter was received by the Chief of Staff of the 2nd Division, from the Personnel Bureau, Headquarters, American Expeditionary Forces, dated August 8th, which contained the information that recommendations for the award of the Croix-de-Guerre to 204 officers and men and the Chevalier Legion D'Honneur to Brigadier Generals Wendell C. Neville and Albertus W. Catlin and Major Edward B. Cole, had been approved by G.H.Q., Am.E.F. and it is presumed the actual awards will be made in the near future. The decorations presented August 25th, and which are mentioned in a later paragraph, were awarded for action during the participation of the Brigade in the July offensive south of Soissons. The above recommendations are for action in June northwest of Chateau-Thierry.

On August 14th representatives of the Committee on Naval Affairs visited the Brigade and with Brigadier-General Neville made a tour of inspection of the Brigade sector.

It was expected that the Brigade would stay in line for some time. On August 11th, however, preliminary orders were received for the relief of the Brigade, movement to commence August 15th. On August 14th, Field Order #22, H.Q., 2nd Division was received for the relief of the Brigade by the 164th Brigade of the 82nd Division. The order also provided for the movement of this Brigade to a billeting and training area about 20 kilometers to the southwest of Toul. The relief and movement began on the 14th of August and was completed the 18th of August, General Neville formally turning over the sector at 8:00 a.m., August 18th.

In the new area, with Brigade Headquarters at Favieres (map marked "x") a program of training was issued and put into effect. Schedule of training covered the following subjects: Each Battalion spent from three to five days at Camp Bois-de-l'Eveque, a large French training camp where they were put through rifle practice, grenade throwing, one-pounder and Stokes mortar firing, Chauchat rifle, combat and machine gun practice. Terrain exercises were held for battalions during their stay there using all infantry weapons and machine guns. The 6th Machine Gun Battalion and regimental machine gun companies were assembled with the machine gun troops of the Division at this camp for a special gun course of training. The pioneer platoon of the Regimental Headquarters companies were attached to the Engineers for a special course of training and the signal platoons of the Regimental Headquarters companies were attached to the Divisional signal platoon for special courses. Battalions not at the training camp carried out a training schedule within their areas including close and extended order drills, assault formations, grenade throwing, gas and signal drills.

In compliance with telegraphic instructions from G.H.Q., each regiment sent details to the Army Infantry Speciallists [sic] School on August 18th as follows: For the Infantry Course, two lieutenants from each rifle company; all Regimental and Battalion Intelligence Officers for a course in the Intelligence Section; two non-commissioned officers from each regiment for grenade and automatic rifle courses; signalmen for scouting and observation course.

On Sunday, August 25th at 10.00 a.m., a ceremony was held at which American and French decorations were presented to officers and men of the 2nd Division. Each Regiment was represented by a battalion and the 6th Machine Gun Battalion by a company. Major-General Hunter Liggett, commanding the 1st Army Corps, presented the decoration in the absence of General Pershing. The ceremony was attended by French and British officers of high rank, Major-General John A. Lejeune, commanding the 2nd Division, and Brigadier-Generals Neville and Ely, commanding the 4th and 3rd Brigades respectively. One of the features of the ceremony was the bringing down of a German plane which was flying over the parade ground, by an anti-aircraft Gun. Decorations which were awarded included the Distinguished Service Cross, the Chevalier Legion D'Honneur, the Medaille Militaire and the Croix de Guerre. Officers and enlisted men receiving these decorations were as follows:

Distinguished Service Cross:
1st Lieutenant Charles O. Roberts, 6th Marines.
1st Lieutenant Charles Clive Murray, 6th Marines.
2nd Lieutenant William A. Eddy, 6th Marines.
2nd Lieutenant Carl J. Norstrand, 5th Marines.
Sergeant George R. Frank, 6th Marines.
Sergeant Darel J. McKinney, 6th Marines.
1st Sergeant Daniel Daly, 6th Marines.
Sergeant Robert H. Donaghue, 6th Marines.
Corporal Eugene Wear, 5th Marines.
Private Albert E. Brooks, 6th Marines.
Private James, J. Pretty, 6th Machine Gun Battalion.
Private Bertram L. Ream, "        "         "         "
Private Morris F. Fleitz, 6th Marines.
Major Randolph T. Zane, 6th Marines.
Captain Dwight F. Smith, 6th Marines.
1st Lieutenant Julius C. Cogswell, 6th Marines.
1st Lieutenant James McB. Sellers, 6th Marines.
1st Lieutenant P.H. Hurley (U.S.R.), 6th Marines.
1st Lieutenant Edward B. Hope, 5th Marines.
1st Lieutenant Albert P. Basten, 5th Marines.
1st Lieutenant Lemuel C. Shepherd, 5th Marines.
2nd Lieutenant James H. Legendre, 5th Marines.
Sergeant John H. Culnan, 5th Marines.
Sergeant John Casey, 5th Marines.
Gunnery Sergeant Charles F. Hoffman, 5th Marines.
Gunnery Sergeant James Carbary, 5th Marines.
Corporal Joseph A. Garges, 6th Marines.
Corporal Harry B. Fletcher, 6th Marines.
Corporal Raymond W. Boone, 6th Marines.
Corporal Frank A. Vial, 6th Marines.
Corporal David L. Spaulding, 6th Marines.
Corporal John J. Ingalls, 6th Marines.
Hospital Apprentice Carl 0. Kingsbury, U.S.Navy, 6th Marines.
Private John B. Flocken, 6th Marines.
Private James W. Carter, 6th Marines.
Private James L. Clark, 5th Marines.
Private John N. Worrell, 6th Marines.
Private Eria C. Hufstedler, 6th Marines.
Chevalier, Legion d'Honneur:
Captain E. A. Cook, 5th Marines.
2nd Lieutenant Daniel W. Bender, 5th Marines.
Captain Arthur H. Turner, 6th Marines.
Chaplain Harris A. Darche, 6th Marines.
Medaille Militaire:
Sergeant Mates Kocak, 5th Marines.
Sergeant Joseph L. Hopta, 5th Marines.
Gunnery Sergeant Louis Cukela, 5th Marines.
Private Jesse M. Tidwell, 5th Marines.
Private R.V. Lotspiech, 6th Marines.
Croix de Guerre (Citation in French Army Orders):
Major Thomas Holcomb, 6th Marines.
Major John A. Hughes, 6th Marines.
Major Berton W. Sibley, 6th Marines.
2nd Lieutenant George Belmont, 6th Marines
Corporal John L. McInness, 6th Marines.
Corporal Joseph B. La Salle, 6th Marines.
Corporal Robert Slover, 5th Marines.
Pharamacist's Mate, 3rd Class, Henry P. Garris, 6th Machine Gun Battalion.
Private Colemen Conroy, 6th Marines.
Private Alvin G. Beaty, 5th Marines.
Corporal Robert L. Thieme, 5th Marines.
Private Howard W. Josepha, 5th Marines.
Private G. Wilkes, 5th Marines.
Private J. Warren, 5th Marines.
Private William H. Haskell, 6th Marines.
Private Hanson A. Smith, 6th Marines.

The above list includes officers and men who were awarded the decorations although many of them were not present on account of being sick in the hospital, transferred to replacement battalions and in one instance, that of Private Eria C. Hufstedler, 6th Marines, who was reported missing since July 19, 1918.

On August 30th the 2nd Division held Division terrain and maneuver exercises for the purpose of exercising the Division in command, liaison and the control of units by their respective commanders. These exercises were participated in by all officers and the entire liaison and intelligence personnel of all organizations. Companies were represented by men with flags.

On August 31st the same exercises were held as a Division maneuver. The 5th and 6th Marines, less one battalion each, and all officers and the entire liaison and intelligence personnel of both Regiments and the 6th Machine Gun Battalion participated. The above exercises and maneuvers were carried out fairly well considering that all organizations from the Brigade were composed of from 30 to 35 percent replacement troops. At this time the Regiments were short about 800 officers and men each. During the month replacements arrived in small detachments and the Brigade Commander made every effort to obtain Marine Corps troops who were on special duty throughout France. At this time indications are that his efforts will be met with some success.

At the completion of the maneuvers of August 30 and again on August 31, critiques were held at which all officers were present. Criticism was made by the Commanding General of the Division, his Chief of Staff, and the Commanding Generals of the two Brigades, and discussion upon the various phases of the maneuvers was invited from all officers. The critiques brought out the following points:

(a) The exercises were carried out too much according to set form.
(b) Officers and Non-Commissioned Officers did not apply or were slow in applying tactical principles to the particular terrain over which they maneuvered.
(c) That liaison, especially in wooded districts was very difficult; that such conditions demanded a very large and well trained liaison personnel.
(d) Also that the P.C.'s of the battalions, regiments, and brigades should be pushed close up to the attacking line in order not to lose touch with troops.

On Sunday afternoon, September 1st, orders were received from Division Headquarters, for the units of the Brigade to be ready for a move as part of a Corps maneuver. During the evening word was received that no move would be made during the night. September 2nd orders were received for a move covering a period of three days. The location of the various units of the Brigade during this move are shown on the accompanying map marked "X". Brigade Headquarters moved from Favieres at 8:00 p.m. for Bainville, arriving there at about 9:45 p.m. when it was found that the destination had been changed by the Division to Pont St. Vincent, where the Brigade P.C. was established.

On Tuesday September 3rd at the P.C. at Pont St. Vincent a conference of the regimental commanders was held with the Brigade Commander and at 8:00 p.m. the Brigade P.C. closed and opened at Velaine-en-Haye, with the 5th and 6th Regiments and the 6th Machine Gun Battalion located in woods to the south. At 2:00 p.m. the Division P.C. was opened at Franchville. On September 5th Mr. Peter Clark Macfarlane, writer for the Saturday Evening Post, reported to the Brigade Headquarters for the purpose of gathering material for an article on the activities of the Marines. Mr. Macfarlane was assigned to the Brigade in accordance with arrangements made with G.H.Q. Am.E.F. During his stay he visited the 5th and 6th Regiments and remained with the Brigade throughout its operations in the St.Mihiel Salient. He left on September 14th.

The Brigade remained in the vicinity of Bouvron, where the Brigade P.C. was established, having moved there at 8:00 p.m., September 4th, until September 9th, when it moved its P.C. to Manonville, the regiments and machine an battalion going into the Bois de la Rappe. During the afternoon of September 10 a conference was held at the Brigade P.C., at which the Brigade Commander, Regimental Commanders, the Commanding officer of the 6th Machine Gun Battalion and battalion and company commanders were present. On September 11th orders were received for the Brigade to go into line.

Subsequent field orders issued and the result of the operations of the Brigade from; 1:00 a.m., September 12 to 10:00 a.m., September 16, when the Brigade P.C. closed at Thiaucourt and returned to Manonville, is covered in the operations report accompanying marked "y".

Concerning the operations of the 2nd Division on September 12th, 13th, and 14th, the following congratulatory messages are self-explanatory.

Telegram received by the Commanding General, First Corps:

"The Commander-in-Chief is pleased to transmit to the command the following telegram which he has just received:- 'My dear General: The First American Army under your command, on this first day has won a magnificent victory by a maneuver as skillfully prepared as it was valiantly executed. I extend to you as well as to the officers and troops under your command my warmest Compliments. Marshal Foch.' The Army Commander directs that the foregoing telegram be distributed to the forces of your command.

The following telegram received by the Commanding General, First Corps, from General Pershing:

"Please accept my sincere congratulations on the successful and important part taken by the officers and men of the First Corps in the first offensive of the First American Army on September twelth and Thirteenth. The Courageous dash and vigor of our troops has thrilled our countrymen and evoked the enthusiasm of our Allies. Please convey to your command my heartfelt appreciation of their splendid work. I am proud of you all.

The following telegram received by the Commanding General, 2nd Division, from the Commanding General, First Corps:

"Once more your Corps Commander has had the privilege of witnessing the Second Division maintain its splendid standard and fully come up to his expectations.

The following General Order was issued by the Commanding General, 2nd Division:

"I desire to express to the officers and men my profound appreciation of their brilliant and successful attack in the recent engagement. Our Division maintained the prestige and honour of our Country proudly and swept the enemy from the field.

John A. Lejeune."
Records Of The Second Division (Regular) Volume 6; Operation Reports — War Diaries — Journal of Operations
Second Division Historical Section, The Army War College, Washington, D. C.
Last Update: 06/18/2017 8:42 AM Sitemap Search this Site ©2002-2017 MG Ryder & Contributors