header image

Report Hq. Co. 9th Infantry, July 18-20, 1918.

Images in progress.

July 17 - 19, 1918.
ort Co.M 9th Inf. O.erations Soissons Rheims Offensive,
July 17th-19th,1918.
(Cont'd. from last page).
to advance again under a timed barrage at 7 P.M. many machine guns were encounted during this attack their fire upon us were very effective. The tanks however proved very efficient in putting these out of action.
Our company continued its advance far beyond the second objective and untill dark a distance of three Kilometer's Then we started to dig ourselves in for the night with entrenchim: tools but were releived by the Engineers who dug trenches for us. Our Company remained in this Position during the night of July 13th, 1918. and the next morning the enemy started a heavy counter attack but were repulsed with heavy loss at all points. Our company was heavely shelled during the day of the 19th, and the enemy airoplanes continued to shoot at us with their machine guns by flying close over our heads.
At 12:M. July 19th, 1918. we were relived by-French troops and we retired to a woods about 12 Kilometers to the rear arriving at about 7:A.M.
Upon our. second advance the Company was led by 1st. Sergeant F.J. Lauer the comnany having been wounded also our other officers he displayed great coolness courage. Great coolness and courazce were displayed by the men at all times and. the follorring have been especially recommended for valor. Vis 1st. Sergeant F.J. lauer, Sergeant H.C.Schwanz, Corporal M. Dombrowski, Corporal J.E.Weber, Pvt. lcl D. Eyre, Pvt lcl R.Parsley, Pvt. lcl. L.M.M.VanSersel, Pvt.lcl. Mack H.Williams, Pvt.lcl Henry Vieira, Pvt. Mike Musiet, Pvt. J.C. Schooley, Pvt. Wrn.R. Worthern, Pvt. Martin Kornorski, and Corporal Bolestaw Prusak who took command of one half Platoon and displayed more than ordinary courage and. coolness in leading his men forward safely under heavy machine gun and shell fire and continued fighting with unusual spirit and dash untill killed.
At the time our company reached the last objective it had 126 enlisted men left which was on the night of July 18th, 1918.
The foregoing report is made from reliable information giving by Non-commissioned officers of this company who were present at the time.
P.S,. Vito Piperata Pvt. 1 cl also displayed great courage under fire and captured an enemy spy ina French uinforrr.e,
Charles S McAllister Charles S. McAllister 2nd. Lieut. 9th, Infantry.
M/H Co.Hietorian.
Oscar I. Chenoweth, Oscar I. Chenoweth,
1st Lieut.9th, Infantry. Commdg. Co.
Headquarters Company, 9th Infantry.
American E.F.,France, 14 August, 1918. Commanding Officer, Hdqrs. Co., 9th Infantry. Commanding Officer, 2nd Division.
Operation Report.
After a long, dusty and most uncomfortable journey on French motor trucks from Chateau-Thierry, Headquarters Company of this Regiment marched five (5) miles to place of assembly
where a hasty meal was prepared. Orders were re-
ceived.to move at once, we were to attack tie Boche the next morning.
(Cont,d. on next page).
July 18 - 20, 1918.

(font' d. from last page).
The Trench Mortar Platoon, commanded by 1st Lieut. Trevor 7. Swett, and the Pioneer Platoon commanded by 1st Lieut. Arthur W. Pope, Jr., wore attached to the 1st Battalion, the Signal Platoon commanded by 1st Lieut. Joseph W. Emery, Jr., were distributed with each battalion.
All were in the same condition as the 'companies of the Regiment.
The hike from place where orders were received will never be forgotten, the roads were just crammed and jammed with all sorts of transportation. The men had to hike in single file not on the roads but in the ditch along side.
Water and food rab in demand. but very little to be had, Ammunition had to be distributed, our men received little rest that night. When the zero hour arrived 4:35 A.M. July 18, 1918, all- stepped forward and charged the Boche. The artillery noise was deafening, tanks darting here and there closely followed. our lines. Soon prisoners arrived, and they were immediately sent out to bring in the rounded. They seemed most willing to do that. They were frightened beyond description.
Lieuts Swett and Pope were wounded, Lieut. Emery was killed. tieuti Leland C. Stevenson who was Materiel Officer was wounded.
The Headquarters Platoon remained with the battalions and did excellent work until the relief arrived. July 20,1918.
(SfTd) C. O. Mattfeldt,
C. O. Mattfeldt,
1st Lieut., 9th Infantry.
July 18th, 1918.
The regithent entrucked at COCHEREL from 4.00 to 9.00 P.M., it taking 5 hours due to poor management on the part of the moving organization. This was on July 16th. The regiment rode all night debarking at 8.30 A.M. July 17th and marching about five miles unnecessarily as the trucks could have gone to destination. The day of July 17th was excessively hot. The regiment camped in a woods but before a warm meal could be cooked was marched 8 Miles to its attack position, arriving at 9.00 P.M., and bivouacing in position during a heavy rain. There was no opportunity to properly reconnoiter the terrain or to study the plan of attack as it was dark before the order could. be issued and lights could not be lit. Orders were given verbally covering the attack and maps. and all information obtainable was given out. The 1st Bn. relieved the bn. of 48th
French. Infantry in line at 10.30 P.M. Notice of zero hour at
4.35 A.M. was received and communicated at midnight. No tanks arrived till zero hour and no plan of artillery was received, and as no artillery fired till zero hour and as we were unsuccessful in obtaining liaison with the 5th Marines on our left
I of the opinion that the attack would not take -place but
Lallrptly at zero the barrage began heavily and the tanks came,
T) late, as they could not accompany our front line but did accompany the reserves. Our men followed the barrage as a rule but at times went ahead and took machine guns with small
(Contld, on next page).
Last Update: 06/18/2017 8:42 AM Sitemap Search this Site ©2002-2017 MG Ryder & Contributors