header image

Oct. 3-8, 1918
C. C.
Company C, 5th Machine Gun Battalion,
American Expeditionary Forces,
France, October 18, 1918
Commanding Officer.
Commanding Officer, 5th Machine Gun Battalion.
Report of Operations of Company C. 5th Machine Gun Battalion. (attached to 2nd Bn. 9th Infantry)
October 3-8, 1918

Pursuant to orders Company moved out from Camp Nantivet on night of October 1-2, 1918, proceeding to vicinity of NAVARIN FARM where we occupied shell holes on EAST side of SOMME-PY — SOUAIN road. At this point we joined the 2nd Battalion, 9th Infantry, remaining here until 6:00 P.M. October 2, 1918, when we moved with battalion to Bois de MOINEAU. At this point we were met by guides, who conducted Battalion to jumping off place BOIS DE PINS, where we arrived at 5:30 A.M. October 3, 1918.

One platoon was assigned to the right flank of the battalion, and as left flank was to remain exposed until the junction with the Marines was effected at the objective line, two platoons were assigned to this flank, echeloned in depth.

In this order advance was made to objective line, which was reached at about 10:00 A.M.

Though being with the support battalion, guns from all three platoons (CJH) took advantage of opportunities for firing during the advance. Casualties during advance. 1 wounded.

On consolidation of line at objectives, 3rd platoon took up position protecting right flank of battalion, with one section from each of the other two platoons, protecting the left flank, with their other sections in reserve and mounted as anti-avions, as which several targets were encountered and engaged. Suffered casualties of 2 killed and 2 wounded while in this position.

The battalion forming, 2 companies in front line and 2 in support, for the advance again at 6:00 P.M., one platoon was assigned to each flank, with one platoon assigned as reserve with the support companies, and in this order made the advance. On establishment of the new line, about 1500 metres to front of first objective line, the platoons took up position in accordance with their respective assignments. In these positions on October 4, 1918 at 5:30 A.M. the 3rd platoon with one section of the 1st platoon broke up and repulsed an enemy counter attack. Casualties in these positions: 3 wounded.

The Second Platoon in reserve position engaged enemy planes with guns mounted for anti-avion work.

On the battalion's formation for advance as support of the 23rd Infantry at 3:00 P.M., the 4th, the same assignments of platoons were made. The enemy barrage and machine gun fire that greeted the formation inflicted casualties of 4 wounded including one officer.

The attack being held up and the 23rd Infantry withdrawing, the platoons fell back with the battalion to their recent positions, and during the heavy enemy artillery fire that ensued, casualties of eleven wounded and one killed were suffered, with one gun being put out of action by shell.

At 11:45 P.M. the battalion fell back to Merin Road, 1st objecive line, where platoons took up positions along roadway, in infantry's line, according to their previous assignments.

At 7:00 A.M. the 5th, the battalion falling back to enemy trenches on south side of roadway, the platoons took up positions, accordingly and while occupying same suffered casualties of 3 gassed.

About 4:00 P.M., October 5th the battalion moving to position, on north side of roadway near MEDEAH FERME and during this movement suffered casualty of 1 killed. Occupied positions in former enemy trenches until 10:30 A.M. the 6th, when the battalion moved forward to fill breach in line between the 23rd Infantry and the French. On reaching objective and during consolidation of positions suffered casualties of 1 killed and 1 wounded. Platoons took up positions, one platoon protecting right flank and one left flank with one with battalion support. These positions held till night of 78th when Company was relieved. After relief, suffered casualty of one wounded who was left back with the relieving company.

Upon relief of Company on night of Oct. 7-8, 1918, moved back to former enemy trenches at BOIS DES CLAIRIERES, where Company remained until evening of October 8, 1918, when we rejoined the 5th Machine Gun Battalion.

C. J. Hirschfelder
Captain, Infantry.
Image 1 | Image 2
Records Of The Second Division (Regular) Volume 8; Operation Reports — War Diaries
Second Division Historical Section, The Army War College, Washington, D. C.
Last Update: 06/18/2017 8:42 AM Sitemap Search this Site ©2002-2017 MG Ryder & Contributors