header image

Second Military Police.

Oct. 11, 1917, Fort Oglethorpe, Ga. Personnel selected from 8th, 11th, and 17th Cavalry regiments, and from the 51st and 56th Infantry regiment.
Names of Commanding Officers.
Capt. W. L. Roberts (Oct. 11, 1917—Aug. 19, 1918).
Capt. R. L. Pemberton (Aug. 19, 1918—date).
Provost Marshalls
Major H. H. Broadarst (Oct. 11, 1917-July 18, 1918).
Major F. B. Garrett, U. S. M. C. (July 18, 1918—0ct. 30, 1918
Capt. R. L. Pemberton (Oct. 30, 1918—date).
Date of Arrival in France.
Jan. 30, 1918, via Liverpool and Le Havre.
Training Period.
Bourmont area, Jan. 31—March 15, 1918.
Verdun Sector.
Performed usual military police duties.
Alsne-Marne Defensive (Chateau Thierry).
Relieved from Verdun front and moved to Robert Espagne for a short rest. Moved to Beauvais Sector on May 20th. Left for Chateau Thierry front on May 31st. Stationed at Montreui[l]-aux Lions, June 3—July 10. Engaged in directing traffic and guarding roads at this front. One man killed and two wounded by shell fire.
Alsne-Marne Offensive (Soissons).
July 17th the company moved by camion to the Villers Cotteret Forest. Occupied in breaking traffic congestion.
Marbache Sector.
August 1st the company entrained at Plissis-Belleville for Nancy, arriving Aug. 3. Aug. 9th the company moved to Millery in the Pont-a-Mousson Sector.
St. Mihiel Ottensive.
A short rest was secured in the Colombey-les·Belles area, Aug, 17—Sept.1. Movement to the St. Mihiel Salient started on Sept. 1st, and on Sept, 10th company headquarters opened at Manonville. Two men were killed and two wounded by enemy shell fire on Sept. 11th.
Meuse-Argonne Offensive (Champagne).
After St. Mihiel the company rested in Toul for a week and them moved to the Champagne front, arriving in Suippes Sept. 30th. During the Division's attack on Blane [sic Blanc] Mont ridge, the company regulated traffic. One man was killed and six wounded near Somme-Py.
Meuse-Argonne Ottensive.
For this offensive the company was strengthened by the addition of ten officers and two hundred enlisted men from the Fourth Brigade. Lieut. Scott was killed near Fleville on Nov. 1st. The company was stationed at Fosse on Nov. 11th.
March to the Rhine.
Detachments from the company accompanied the advance elements of the Division on the march, controlling traffic and doing guard duty. Arrived at Neuwied, Germany, on Dec. 13. occupying permanent billets in that city. Company scattered throughout the Division area at present, performing general Military Police duties,
From dates of organization to June 1, 1919.
Coblenzer Volkszeitung, Coblenz, Germany.
Last Update: 06/18/2017 8:42 AM Sitemap Search this Site ©2002-2017 MG Ryder & Contributors