header image

Second Mobile Ordnance Repair Shop.


TIME AND PLACE OF ORGANIZATION:
Nov, 13, 1917, Rock Island Arsenal.
 
Names of Commanding Officers.
Capt. G. D. Sturtevant (Nov. 17, 1917—Feb. 7, 1918).
Capt. F. T. Boyd (Feb. 7, — Nov. 13, 1918).
1st. Lieut. H. C. Ewers (Nov. 13, 1918-May 6, 1919).
Capt. C. G. Howe (May 6, 1919—date).
 
Training Periods.
Trained at La Valdahon, France, with 2nd F. A. Brigade, Jan. 10—March 15, 1918. Some training in machine gun school at Langres.
 
Date of Arrival In France.
December 27. 1917.
 
Accomplishments.
The MORS was at all fronts with the Division, busily engaged in the repair of all ordnance. The following is a partial list of the work accomplished while on the active front.
 
  (Destroyed and Replaced)
  Repaired Enemy fire Premature
Howitzer 155 m/m 38 1 0
French 75 m/m 176 8 11
Hotchkiss Machine Gun 689 Replaced  
Hotchkiss Tripods 140 41  
Chauchats 574 274  
U. S. Rifles 596 809  
Pistols 99 5  
 

In addition to the above work each 75 m/m and 155 m/m wak [sic was] overhauled and re-adjusted twice. After each major operation all the machine guns in the Division were overhauled and new parts substituted when needed.

Besides the regular routine of duties of the shop, a large number of motor vehicles, wagons and carts were repaired. During every engagement the men voluntered to drive the cargo trucks of the organizations between the forward dressing stations and the rear so as to aid in the evacuation of the wounded. Drivers often drove nights and worked during the day.

 
THE SECOND DIVISION
SYLLABI OF THE HISTORIES OF REGIMENTS AND SEPARATE ORGANIZATIONS
From dates of organization to June 1, 1919.
Coblenzer Volkszeitung, Coblenz, Germany.
 
Last Update: 03/28/2017 5:51 AM Sitemap Search this Site ©2002-2017 MG Ryder & Contributors