header image

Emery, Joseph W., Jr. (1st Lt.)—DSC, Vierzy; SSC, Chateau-Thierry. K.I.A 7-18-18

Contributed by: James H. Drescher, Esq., LCol USMCR (ret) Contact
Joseph W. Emery, 9th Infantry

LIEUT. JOSEPH W. EMERY, JR. (Dartmouth '17) BROTHER EMERY was killed in action near Soissons on July 18. He was born in Quincy [Illinois] January 12, 1896, was twenty-two years of age, a descendant of two of Quincy's oldest families. He was graduated from the Quincy High School and entered Dartmouth College without conditions on his record from the Quincy High School. He was on the honor list at Dartmouth in his studies for the last three years. In athletics he won letters in football and in pole vaulting, and was permanent vice-president of his class. In his senior year he was elected a member of the "Sphinx," the senior society. In the training camp he was one of thirty-two in his company who applied for a commission in the regular army. He received this commission with a grading of over 97, being next to the highest. He was to graduate from Dartmouth the middle of June, 1917, and made application for the Officers' Training Camp, passed his examination, and went into the camp the middle of May, being allowed a day to go back to Dartmouth for graduation exercises and his diploma.

Joseph W. Jr Emery
First Lieutenant, U.S. Army
9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Division
Entered the Service From: Illinois
Date of Death: July 18, 1918
World War I
Buried: Plot D Row 3 Grave 12
Oise-Aisne American Cemetery
Fere-en-Tardenois, France
** Distinguished Service Cross
JOSEPH WELCH EMERY, JR.	1917 From: War Record Of Dartmouth College 1917—1918

First Lieutenant, Infantry.

Born Jan. 12, 1896. Prepared at the high school in Quincy, Ill. At college he was on the Freshman Football Team, the Freshman Golf Team, the Varsity Track Team and the Varsity Football Team. He was a member of the Third Honor Group and was vice-president of his class for two years. He belonged to Phi Gamma Delta and Sphinx.

He entered the Plattsburg training camp in May, 1917 and was commissioned second lieutenant in August. He was assigned to the 9th Infantry, with which unit he sailed for France on Sept. 6, 1917. After special training in signal work, he was sent to the front with his regiment. On July 18, 1918, he voluntarily joined an assaulting battalion, near Vierzy, as platoon leader of a company which was short of officers. When all the other officers had become casualties, he took command of the company and while rushing an enemy position at the head of his men, he was killed by machine gun bullets. For his heroism he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross posthumously.

Headquarters Company, 9th Infantry.
American E.F., France, 14 August, 1918.

July 18 - 20, 1918.
Report Hq. Co. 9th Infantry, Jul 18-20 1918.
From: Commanding Officer, Hdqrs. Co., 9th Infantry.
To: Commanding Officer, 2nd Division.
Subject: Operation Report.

After a long, dusty and most uncomfortable journey on French motor trucks from Chateau-Thierry, Headquarters Company of this Regiment marched five (5) miles to place of assembly where a hasty meal was prepared. Orders were received to move at once, we were to attack the Boche the next morning.

The Trench Mortar Platoon, commanded by 1st Lieut. Trevor W. Swett, and the Pioneer Platoon commanded by 1st Lieut. Arthur W. Pope, Jr., were attached to the 1st Battalion, the Signal Platoon commanded by 1st Lieut. Joseph W. Emery, Jr., were distributed with each battalion.

All were in the same condition as the companies of the Regiment.

The hike from place where orders were received will never be forgotten, the roads were just crammed and jammed with all sorts of transportation. The men had to hike in single file not on the roads but in the ditch along side.

Water and food was in demand but very little to be had. Ammunition had to be distributed, our men received little rest that night. When the zero hour arrived 4:35 A.M. July 18, 1918, all stepped forward and charged the Boche. The artillery noise was deafening, tanks darting here and there closely followed our lines. Soon prisoners arrived, and they were immediately sent out to bring in the wounded. They seemed most willing to do that. They were frightened beyond description.

Lieuts. Swett and Pope were wounded, Lieut. Emery was killed. Lieut. Leland C. Stevenson who was Materiel Officer was wounded.

The Headquarters Platoon remained with the battalions and did excellent work until the relief arrived July 20, 1918.

(Sgd) C. O. Mattfeldt,
C. O. Mattfeldt,
1st Lieut., 9th Infantry.
Records Of The Second Division (Regular) Volume 7; Operation Reports — War Diaries — Patrol Reports
Second Division Historical Section, The Army War College, Washington, D. C.
Last Update: 06/18/2017 8:42 AM Sitemap Search this Site ©2002-2017 MG Ryder & Contributors